January marks National Mentoring Month, and the incomparable Patti Austin and Over My Shoulder Foundation Executive Director Dawn Carroll share these tips for creating successful mentoring relationships. They mentor one another and firmly believe in the mentoring process.
• Educate your mentees about all aspects of your profession – both the good and the bad.
• Be someone they can rely on to help guide them towards success.
• Share your time, wisdom and expertise.
• Provide emotional sustenance.
• Reconnect the unconnected.
• Create a productive and safe space that will help them feel confident and capable.
• Foster the relationship, even in the smallest of ways.