Boston’s oldest-standing church was built in 1723. Originally named Christ Church, its claim to fame began on the evening of April 18, 1775. That’s when church sexton Robert Newman and Capt. John Pulling, Jr., climbed to the steeple and held two lanterns to signal Paul Revere the British were heading to Lexington and Concord by sea across the Charles River and not by land, as documented in the famous poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Freedom Trail Stop: Old North Church